Monday, March 5, 2012

The Warmest Winter!

     I absolutely love that this has been a very warm winter. Winter is not something that I look forward too after a beautiful summer and fall. There is nothing more frustrating than snow; having to shovel and dig out your cars when you have to go to work and get errands done. The only way that I would ever accept snow is if it gave me a snow day and I had an excuse not to do anything! Other than that, snow is probably my least favorite thing about living in New York. 
     I was not always like this. I used to love the snow and I could not wait for it to come each winter...until I went to college at SUNY Albany. We arrive in August when classes start, so the whether is still nice. However, as soon as October hits, the snow begins and does not stop until May. It snowed every single day for three months, and if it is not snowing, it is raining. It became so dark and gloomy that I could not wait to graduate by the time my senior year hit. Now that I am home on Long Island, I was expecting snow but I am so happy that it decided not to come this winter. I needed this break from the freezing cold winters and enjoy the winter for the first time. Hopefully though, because of these odd changes in temperature this winter, the summer will be hot as always the snow doesn't decide to come then! 
                         
 
Vocabulary

Winter- the coldest season of the year. The temperatures are cold and snow usually falls.

Frustrating- something that prevents something to progress or succeeding

Gloomy- dark, appearing to be depressing

Expecting- something or regarding something to likely happen

Freezing- extremely cold temperate where water turns to ice. 

Odd- strange and unusual

Vocabulary Exercise: match the vocabulary word in the first row with a synonym in the second row. 

Vocab Word                                                                                   Synonym 

Odd                                                                                            Frost

Gloomy                                                                                      Waiting

Winter                                                                                       Abnormal

Expecting                                                                                  Chilly

Freezing                                                                                    Annoying

Frustrating                                                                                Dull

Grammar Point

Please find all the adjectives in this passage and put them into sentences of your own.

Write a paragraph about your favorite season and why. 



1 comment: