Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Education for Educating Others, Will it Be Worth It?

          For the past six months, I have been going to graduate school at Molloy College to recieve my masters in Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) and Adolescent Education in Social Studies. Basically, I am goign to school to become a teacher in social studies and ESL. From what I have been reading about and learning about in education lateley, in the State of New York, there are no jobs available for teachers. People with their masters and their doctorates are getting laid off because of all of the budget cuts. Is it really worth it? Is there a point of goign to school and receiving all of this great education at Molloy to graduate and be working at a job that you had since college?
           I have thought about this and I will not deny that it has made me nervous. New York has is trying to change everything about how education is evaluated and it is causing a chaotic uprising of the teachers of New York. I know a lot of teachers that have either gotten laid off or cannot find jobs anywhere becuase of these new changes to education. I am not worried though because by the time I graduate Molloy in May 2013, if there are still no jobs available for becomign a teacher, I would have no problem moving elsewhere. Many people from New York feel like they would not be able to live anywhere else, but for me that is not the case. Being a teacher is all that I have wanted since I was in high school and if moving out of New York is what it takes to become a teacher, then so be it.

Vocabulary

TESOL- teachers that help students with English when English is not their native language.

Doctorates- one of the highest degrees in education. People are then referred as doctors.

Laid off- temporary suspension from employment

Evaluate- when someone is tested on merit and worth

Chaotic- very hectic and crazy.

jobs- places where people work

Vocabulary Exercise

When looking for _______________ in the current economy, it can be very ______________. There are many people lateley who are being ______________ on their performance at work, and if they do not meet the standards, they will be either fired or _______________. If you want to recieve an education to either get your masters or _____________, a great program that is very rewarding would be ______________. This program allows you to work with children and even adults who are struggling with English.

Grammar Point:
Find all of the nouns in the story and write what kind of nouns they are. (ex, proper nouns, pronouns, etc)


Write a paragraph on what you want to be when you grow up, and what you think it will take to get there.

3 comments:

  1. I feel the EXACT same way, this is such a sad topic especially for those of us who are passionate about teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this blog in particular because it is a topic that is current and relatable. I think your grammar activity was a good idea because it give the student the opportunity to make a personal connection to the task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good entry! Yes, the job situation here is worrying. Would you go abroad? There are jobs there as English is a hot commodity.

    ReplyDelete