Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The One Reason I Hate Spring...

...ALLERGIES. Spring is a beautiful time of year, trees and flowers start to bloom and its beautiful, the days are longer, being outside is great, but, what people tend to forget is that when flowers begin to bloom, they let loose all of the pollen and the affect that it  can have on people can make them miserable! 
     Each March, I just always expect the worst. Around this time of year, my eyes water non stop, my nose and ears are always itching, and my chest feels tight. I have tried taking medication for these seasonal allergies, but they usually just put me to sleep and unfortunately I can not sleep all day like I would want too. So usually,  I just try and stick it out to get everything I need to get done during the day, but it is so frustrating to not feel healthy for about five months. 


Vocabulary

Allergies-a sensitivity to a harmless substance that causes a strong reaction to the body

Pollen- a powdery substance produced by flowers that contains cells.

Miserable- experience a serious lack of contentment or happiness. 

Itching- to have an irritating sensation on the body that provokes scratching
Medication- a drug to treat an illness. 

Frustrating- to discourage someone. 


Vocabulary Exercise: Fill in the Blank

____________ is a substance that is produced by plants that can have a _____________ effect on a person. Seasonal __________ can be the one of the worst parts of spring/summer. Allergies can cause intense ___________  and can make a person feel absolutely ____________. Usually, there is ____________ out there that can help a person feel better but sometimes they do not work. 

Grammar Point
Find all of the nouns in the paragraph and explain what kind of noun they are.

Writing Exercise
Write a paragraph on something that really frustrates you and why. 

3 comments:

  1. I like your post, because I can relate to it as an allergy sufferer. I think it might be helpful if you listed some examples of the different types of nouns (proper, collective, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. Allergies really make a person's life miserable, and they can be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what's funny? I made a post about allergies also :) I suffer from them from March to November every single year for the past five years and they can be extremely unbearable at times. I know exactly how you feel.

    ReplyDelete